Condo Renovations: Bathroom #1 & Bedroom #2

The month of May was a pretty busy one! We only had certain weekends where we were able to work on the condo, so it was a month of slow (but sure) progress.

Unfortunately we discovered some mold in the bathroom so to be better safe than sorry, we ripped out 3 1/2 of the 4 walls – including the shower walls. So basically we are starting the bathroom over from scratch!

Shawn ripping out the sheet rock and tile in the shower.

Ripping out the smaller pieces.

Shawn also installed new shower pipes – which meant he got to break out his soldering tool! He was pretty excited to use the Benzomatic.

Ah the power of fire! To the right is the finished result of the new piping.

We decided to use Dermaboard (i.e. cement board) instead of sheet rock in the shower (and most of the bathroom walls) because cement board is impervious to water and will hold the wall tile much better than sheet rock. Less damage will be done should there ever be a leak, plus it will withstand the humidity a lot better.  Later we will be tiling these walls.

This is what will be behind the tile.

Currently all the new cement board is up in the bathroom, this past weekend was spent tearing out the drop ceiling, and framing out the bathroom so that we can add dry wall to the ceiling instead of a new drop ceiling. Shawn says he is over engineering it but at least we know for sure that the ceiling won’t ever be caving in! 😉

View from the bathroom doorway.

View from bathroom window

In addition to the upstairs bathroom, we also worked on Bedroom #2. That room has popcorn ceiling – we’re not fans of popcorn style so that needed to go. However, popcorn knock down is very costly and even more messy! So we took an easier route: drilled in furring strips to the ceiling, attached sheet rock to the strips, and goodbye popcorn! No one but us would ever know that there is popcorn hiding behind there – well.. I guess you now know too huh? 😉  It wasn’t as easy as it sounds though! First we got the popcorn tested for asbestos, result was negative. So that gave us the okay to be able to drill into the popcorn and the concrete behind it. Next Shawn redid the electrical wires and made it so that we can install 2 ceiling lights and a fan.  Once the furring strips were in place, then came the hardest part: carrying the sheet rock up the stairs and holding it up, drilling it into the strips, and filling in the gaps with putty. All credit goes to my hot handy hubby on this one! I was only able to hold up smaller pieces of sheet rock during this project. (Note to self: start lifting weights more.)

Popcorn is almost gone!

Once that was completed, we could move onto the next – and more fun – phase: painting! While Shawn worked on the bathroom, I painted this room. We went with “Polar Bear” on the walls and “Full Moon” on the ceiling. Since this is also going to be an office, we went with  neutral colors. Don’t worry, I haven’t lost my craze for colors, I’ll be sure there is a pop of color somewhere in there! 🙂

“Polar Bear” under a “Full Moon.”

Needless to say it was a tiring weekend.  But we are getting there!

(Note: you can see a larger view of the images by clicking on them)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s